Finding the right research tools can be challenging in the ever-expanding world of academic research.
Researchers frequently get lost in a sea of tools because there are so many options accessible, each claiming to be the best. But what if we told you that you don’t need to look any further?
We have compiled a definitive list of the top 17 tools for researchers in 2023 after conducting an in-depth study and careful examination.
Researching is not easy and you must work with the best tools out there. These are the only academic tools you’ll ever need, simplifying your research process like never before.
Let’s explore and learn about the best tools for researchers.
A) Research Databases and Search Engines
In the world of academic research, It is crucial to have access to trustworthy information. For that, research databases and search engines are the gateways to scholarly knowledge.
By making it simple to access a wide variety of articles, journals, and research papers, these tools enable you to conduct more effective research and find valuable resources.
Scopus is a well-known multidimensional abstract and citation database that is widely regarded as the pinnacle of quality in research. It is known as the world’s largest database of peer-reviewed literature.
You can use it as an academic search engine because it contains a large amount of academic literature, such as journals, conference papers, and patents.
The biggest benefit of Scopus is that it can assist you in publishing your work on a global scale.
It can help you
- Improve your work’s exposure and reputation.
- Reach a bigger audience, which may result in more citations and possible partnerships.
- Track the impact of your research and find influential papers.
- Discover the latest research trends and topics.
Scopus can also be used for research purposes such as tracking, analysing, and visualising data.
2. Google Scholar
Google Scholar is a strong academic search engine that allows you to access a massive collection of research papers, scholarly articles, books, theses, and conference papers. Many researchers claim it to be one of the best tools for research.
It is a must-have tool for researchers and academics in any field. It can assist you in many ways like:
- Exploring similar works, citations, authors, and publications.
- Finding the entire document in a library or on the internet.
- Keeping up with the latest advances in any field of study.
- Determining the impact of your research.
- Checking the number of times an article has been cited.
Fun fact: Google Scholar considers a group of “ranking factors” such as citation score to rank a paper in the search results!
Springer is a well-known research database and search engine that offers a large collection of academic articles from many different fields. Springer can be utilized for research as well as for publishing your paper.
It is an excellent resource for researchers looking for scientific articles, journals, books, or conference proceedings.
Here are some features of Springer:
- Publishing Platform: It is a platform where you can publish your article and reach a large audience.
- Big database: It has a large database with a wide range of academic content.
- Robust Search: It offers powerful search options for pinpoint accuracy.
- Access to the full text: You can obtain complete articles and publications.
You can take advantage of SpringerLink which is a full-text database that indexes academic and professional journal articles and papers. It gives users access to over ten million scientific documents.
4. Web of Science
Web of Science is a well-known research database and search engine that provides access to a huge range of scholarly resources. For many reasons, it is an invaluable goldmine for researchers. It enables you to
- Look through many resources.
- Access a diverse range of scholarly content
- Use citation links to locate related research results.
- Determine the impact of research
- Perform journal searches
- Conduct literature searches.
Web of Science is the world’s oldest and one of the most reliable scientific publication and citation databases.
B) Conference Finding Tool: All Conference Alert
As you navigate in the academic field, attending conferences will give you a big advantage and boost your career.
All Conference Alert is a one-stop platform for everything related to academic conferences. It is a leading online research tool for finding conferences.
This platform distinguishes itself as a vital resource for researchers by providing a comprehensive database for upcoming international conferences on a wide range of scientific subjects.
This platform simplifies the process of finding conferences, workshops, and events, allowing academics to easily find and participate in events related to their areas of interest.
It can help you
- Find conferences in almost every scientific subject.
- Discover workshops, seminars and related events.
- Stay up to date on important events, strengthening your scholarly endeavours.
- Find online and offline events at your convenience.
- Browse conferences by industry, field, city, country or month.
The portal connects scholars to events all over the world, encouraging global collaboration.
C) Academic Writing Tool: Grammarly
Academic writing is the foundation of research where you must accurately and creatively put your findings. Among tens of writing tools out there, Grammarly is the only multipurpose tool you will need for writing your paper.
Grammarly is an indispensable tool for researchers which can be used as a writing assistant. It is powered by AI to offer you a smooth writing and editing experience.
This tool for researchers can help you in a lot of ways such as
- Finding complex grammatical faults and correcting them using the advanced grammar check.
- It improves the clarity and engagement of writing.
- Grammarly Improves engagement by offering better word choices.
- It makes writing error-free by assisting you in editing and proofreading.
- It helps you save time by cutting down on editing time, so you can prioritize other aspects of research
- It offers tailored writing style recommendations and helps you maintain a consistent tone.
Grammarly will revolutionise your writing process and guarantee that your research findings are not only insightful but also effectively communicated.
D) Plagiarism Checking Tools
The importance of originality in academic research cannot be overstated.
The credibility of your work can be damaged by plagiarism, which in turn can also damage your reputation. Plagiarism Checking Tools can help in this situation.
These priceless tools support you in maintaining the integrity of your research by helping you make sure that your content is original and not copied.
For researchers to keep the integrity of their work, PlagiarismCheck.org is a vital tool. It helps you ensure the legitimacy of your findings due to its powerful features.
Following are some salient qualities and advantages:
- It can detect AI-generated content
- It carefully examines for plagiarism in written work.
- Reports on similarity with highlighted matches are provided.
- Supports a variety of file formats to make things easier.
- Provides an easy-to-use interface for quick evaluations.
It is an advanced plagiarism checker that not only detects exact matches but also detects
- rearranged words in a sentence
- synonyms used as substituted words
- changes in sentence from active to passive or vice versa.
With PlagiarismCheck.org, you can rest assured that your research stays original and plagiarism-free.
Duplichecker.com is another flexible plagiarism detection tool that can assist you while writing academic papers. It helps maintain the scholarly integrity of research by ensuring originality and appropriate reference.
Here are some of the features:
- Accurate Plagiarism Detection: Duplichecker thoroughly examines content to look for any possible plagiarism problems.
- Easy Text Comparison: Researchers can quickly compare their writing to a large database to check for similarities.
- Multilingual Support: It offers plagiarism detection in more than 15 languages.
- Document Upload: It’s simple for researchers to upload documents in different formats for review.
Duplichecker.com assures that researchers write genuine and ethical research papers.
Now let’s move on to tools that will help you stay organized.
E) Research Management Tools
Research Management tools are much required, especially for keeping track of & managing huge data. These tools are also helpful if you are collaborating with other researchers on the project.
They make the research process simple by streamlining the process of tracking data, references, and shared responsibilities.
We’ll examine 3 academic research tools and show how they might improve your research projects by clearing the clutter from your research!
Trello is a flexible project management application that assists researchers in organising their work efficiently. Its user-friendly interface makes research project management easier, making it a vital resource for academics.
Trello allows you to
- Visualise work by organising research tasks into boards.
- Effectively collaborate by keeping everyone on the same page.
- Stay on track by assigning due dates to projects.
- Monitor progress in real time.
- Create boards that are tailored to every researcher.
Although Trello is well-known among businesses, it is widely used by researchers, especially when collaboration is required.
RefWorks is a must-have research management application that optimises the citation and bibliography process for researchers.
It simplifies the research workflow by allowing you to efficiently organise your references, write citations, and generate bibliographies.
With RefWorks, you can:
- Manage and organise research materials with ease.
- Create citations in a variety of styles automatically.
- Accurately compile bibliographies.
- Share references to make collaboration easier.
- Save time by automating formatting and citation duties.
Note: As of 30th June 2023, Refwork is available only to institutions that have subscriptions.
Docear is a complete research management solution that was created to organise academic productivity.
It merges reference management, PDF annotation, mind mapping, and work planning.
This all-in-one platform enables researchers to organise their literature, thoughts, and projects more effectively.
With Docear, you can:
- Find and upload academic literature with Literature Discovery.
- Create organised overviews of your research using Mind Mapping.
- Organise citations and bibliographies in Reference Management
- Annotate and highlight PDFs for more in-depth analysis.
- Effectively sort and handle large amounts of data.
Docear allows you to easily categorise documents, and sort annotations and offers other useful functions.
F) Research Impact and Visibility Tool: Altmetrics
Altmetric is one of the powerful tools for academic research that gives scholars a thorough overview of the digital engagement and impact of their research work across a variety of online platforms.
It offers insightful information on the scope and impact of their work. Altmetrics is skilled in grabbing attention online. It is helpful in
- Tracking views online
- Keeping track of discussions on Twitter, Wikipedia, Facebook, other social media sites, and journal comments.
- Tracking references in academic writing that are accepted by Web of Science, Scopus, CrossRef, and other reliable sites.
In short, Altmetric can track all data that is cited, reused, or discussed online.
As a researcher, you can benefit from Altmetric by
- Recognizing the range of your research’s impact.
- Watching the number of people who have shared your research.
- Learning about how the public and government sectors are responding to your study.
G) Survey tools or platforms
We can say that Survey tools are the conversation starters in the research world. They make it easier to get the information, comments, and insights needed to support your research journey.
Let’s see the list of research tools in detail.
1. Google Form
Google Forms is an excellent survey tool which makes data collecting and analysis easier for academics.
It provides the following advantages to researchers:
- User-Friendly: Its simple UI makes creating surveys simple and straightforward.
- Customizable: You can create surveys with a variety of question types, ranging from multiple-choice to open-ended.
- Real-time Responses: You can access and analyse participant responses in real time.
- Integration: It can integrate with Google Sheets for broad data management.
- Data Representation: It can display gathered data in the form of charts and percentages, making it easy to use.
Google Forms is free to use and it can collect a huge number of data, making it a preferred choice for surveys
SurveyMonkey is another versatile and user-friendly online survey tool that is designed to help researchers save time. You can easily design, distribute, and analyse surveys, making collecting information easy and convenient.
Here are its features:
- Customizable Surveys: Create surveys that are tailored to your individual research needs.
- Easy Reach: Surveys can be easily shared by email, social media, or embedded links.
- Data Analysis: Analyse and visualise responses quickly to gain relevant insights.
- Wide Integration: Easily connect to different research tools and platforms.
As SurveyMonkey is a survey-focused tool, you can find a lot of functionality and features that can assist you in your research.
H) Social Networking Platforms for Researchers
The bridges that link you to the world’s research community are social networking platforms for researchers. Social media may be used for sharing cat memes, but the listed ones below are not for the same!
These social media platforms are useful for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and keeping up with the most recent developments in your industry.
ResearchGate is more than simply a social networking site; it is a vibrant hub where scholars can interact, share, and develop their work.
This platform allows you to
- Form alliances and collaborations with other researchers throughout the world.
- Disseminate your research findings, articles, and thoughts to a large academic audience.
- Connect with experts in your sector to broaden your professional network.
- Explore a wide range of scholarly articles and resources.
ReseachGate also allows you to track the effect and engagement of your research in real time.
Academia.edu is a leading social networking platform for academics. It is a virtual environment where researchers from all around the world can interact, share their research, and collaborate on various academic projects.
On this platform, you can
- Connect with experts from all over the world.
- Share your papers with ease.
- Find potential research collaborators.
- Increase the visibility of your study among academics.
- Keep track of the effects of your research.
- Receive critique and participate in scholarly conversations.
3. Social Media Websites
Apart from socialising and sharing memes. social media platforms also offer researchers a platform to connect, collaborate, and stay updated.
You may easily join research groups and follow hashtags relevant to your field on Instagram and Facebook.
You can use LinkedIn for professional networking and knowledge sharing among academics.
You can use Twitter to stay updated in the industry.
We have examined the huge terrain of tools for researchers and compiled a list of the top 17 for 2023.
We’ve covered everything from databases to writing aids, plagiarism checkers to research management tools, survey platforms to social media resources.
Though there are many tools in each category, we have selected the only ones that you may need — so you don’t have to spend time trying out each tool!
These tools aren’t just options; they’re reliable companions on your research journey. By using these tools, you can let your research soar to new heights.